Monday, February 20, 2012

Mindful Monday

I have wasted more time than I want to admit, focused on a personal or professional failure, rather than letting it go and letting it become a part of my armor. I don't know if it is just a natural process, but somehow, I have internalized the idea that failure is unacceptable. We see it all the time in the paper and on the news. Mistakes by anyone, whether it be public figures, or our next door neighbors are simply not tolerated.
The paradox is this....when I look at people I admire and aspire to emulate....from the Bible to everyday heroes all around me, I overlook the notion that they all have failed: some of them, MORE than they have succeeded! I wonder why it is I struggle so with my imperfection? Could it be I feel unworthy to accept the Grace that is quietly waiting for me? Really, when you think about it, the only people who don't make mistakes are in the grave!
There are many approaches to the failures in our lives, but the people I know who are successful, have used their failures to work for them.  They have turned those failures into a  part of their armor and it has only made them more determined to overcome and succeed. Failure truly IS only an event and today is a NEW day. The next time I experience even the smallest failure... I will take a deep breath...accept my frailties,  and maybe laugh about them when the pain and disappointment subside. That is when I am empowered to get up, brush myself off, start my day with the armor of Love, Acceptance, and Grace.  Now that's better than a V-8!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!